Bus and group information
Pertinent information for groups using buses to come to the rally on Monday, July 28th.
We strongly discourage the use of backpacks and any large bag! Small water bottles can be carried.
Safeguarding your buses
If arriving bus, it is imperative that each bus be inspected before any of the rally participants climb aboard. We recommend the following:
- Know your bus provider. Many groups use the same bus company year round. If your group does not have an ongoing relationship with a provider, get references. Find out: are the buses stored in a secured facility?
- Know your driver. Those groups not using their “regular” drivers should take additional steps. Ask your provider how long the driver has worked for them. When the driver shows up, ask for a company ID.
- Make sure the driver does a pre-trip inspection, including, but not limited to:
|Below seats||Wheelchair lifts||Engine compartment|
|Drivers area||Lights||Fuel and air tanks|
Make sure that your buses are not left unattended in NYC. There will be NYPD officers in the bus parking areas but bus drivers should stay with their buses.
- Please forward the TSA guidance on school bus security link to your bus provider. It includes a section on monitoring suspicious activity. Please make sure that your bus driver knows that if they SEE something they should SAY something to the officer in their area.
- Remember to ask your driver for their cell phone number. It will facilitate the pick up process.
- If you are not sure that your driver will make the appropriate checks, please make sure that the bus checks are carried out by someone else.
Bus drop-off and parking
- Buses should display a sign in their window: NY Stands with Israel Rally | July 28, 2014. Upon arrival, a rally marshal will meet your bus and provide you with an official parking pass.
- Drivers should discharge their passengers as close to the curb as possible. Rallygoers should cross on Second Avenue at 49th Street if arriving from the north, or Second Avenue and 46th Street if arriving from the south. Approach 47th Street on the east side of the street.
- Buses will not be allowed to park in bus stops.
- Drivers and rallygoers should follow the directions of the NYPD and event marshals (dressed in a neon yellow shirt).
- Bus parking will be on the west side of Second Avenue between 49th and 56th St. If the parking spaces in this location are full, be prepared to follow the directions of the NYPD and event marshals who will reroute you to a nearby parking location.