Unrest overseas: security and emergency planning for the High Holidays
International terror alerts and the possibility of U.S. military action in the Middle East remind us that we should devote extra attention to security and emergency planning. Here are important resources to help make the High Holiday season meaningful, safe and secure.
Check out guidance from the JCRC-NY’s and the ADL:
- Houses of Worship and the High Holidays (PDF excerpt from Emergency Planning: Disaster and Crisis Response Systems for Jewish Organizations) The High Holidays are a special challenge for synagogues. Find tips for security and emergency planning here.
- High Holidays Security and Emergency Preparedness Thinkplate
- “Access control considerations during high holiday services” (PDF) Dov Horwitz, Security Specialist, JCRC-NY
- “Tips on detecting hostile surveillance” (PDF) Paul DeMatties, Senior Advisor on Corporate Security Programs and Director of the Counter-Terrorism Assessment Program, John Jay College of Criminal Justice
- “Planning for the unexpected: High Holiday edition” (PDF) David Pollock, JCRC-NY
- View a video transcript of these presentations.
- ADL: Protecting Your Jewish Institution: Security Strategies for Today’s Dangerous World and Security Recommendations for the High Holidays.