AREAS OF FOCUS:
Sign up for Community UpLink
Community UpLink is a weekly newsletter bringing together New York by publishing timely news and events from diverse ethnic, religious and racial groups to keep all informed and sharing up-to-date information to improve our quality of life.
The Center for Shared Society is JCRC-NY’s Community Building Division
New York City is home to residents who have come from more than 100 nations around the globe and speak over 150 languages, and nearly 40% were born outside the United States. This demographic diversity is one of the City’s greatest strengths, but can often be the source of its toughest challenges — including competition for limited resources, hate crimes, and uncivil debate fueled by stereotypes and misperceptions about “the other.” It is important that there is a civil network for communities to thrive where all stakeholders understand each other and work together. The Center for Shared Society creates and assists the growth of community-based initiatives and runs leadership training programs in the complex world of New York’s new diversity.
- Empowers the communal leadership of New York’s diverse communities
- Incubates initiatives to create leadership networks for solving common problems
- Informs and trains youth and professionals about the complex needs of the New Diversity
- Works to improve relationships in communities between the long-time and new residents
- Identifies, mentors, and teaches emerging leaders in New York City’s communities