Register for DHS Active Shooter Workshops
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is offering Active Shooter Preparedness Workshops in the New York area on October 16 (NYC) and October 19 (White Plains). For additional information and a schedule of other sites and dates contact ASWorkshop@hq.dhs.gov.
Participants will learn how to mitigate the impacts of an active shooter incident and how to develop an initial organizational emergency action plan focused on such incidents.
- Developing an Emergency Action Plan with guidance from expert instructors;
- Identifying strengths, weaknesses, and gaps in physical security and planning considerations via break-out sessions;
- Learning how to prevent active shooter incidents by recognizing behavioral indicators on the pathway to violence;
- Understanding the history of significant active shooter incidents through survivor stories and expert perspectives;
- Developing communication and incident plans for employees;
- Building relationships with local first responders;
- Coordinating with first responders before, during, and after an incident; and
- Integrating public affairs into incident management.
Follow the links to see more information and to register for the New York City event on October 16, 2018 and for the White Plains event on October 18, 2018. Registration is required and seating is limited.
Click here for the JCRC-NY dedicated Active Shooter Resources webpage that includes resources from many sources.