Plot Involving Suspicious Packages
Key Points from the NYPD
- Since Thursday night, law enforcement officials identified two suspicious packages addressed to two synagogues in Chicago.
- Initial reports indicate that the packages contain explosive material. Forensic analysis is underway.
- The packages were discovered in Dubai and East Midlands Airport in the United Kingdom.
- Cargo planes at Newark International Airport and Philadelphia International Airport originating in Yemen were searched for similar suspicious packages.
- Media reports indicate that one woman was arrested in Yemen on suspicion of mailing the packages and that authorities are searching for others.
Implications for New York City
- The NYPD is working closely with our federal partners in the intelligence community to investigate this incident.
- At this time, there is no known specific threat to New York City connected to this incident.
- The NYPD recommends that all New Yorkers remain vigilant.
- In the event a suspicious package is found, call 911 and do not handle it.
Implications for the Jewish community
- There are no known additional specific threats to Jewish institutions at this time.
- Jewish institutions continue to be targeted by those wishing to attack the United States.
- Jewish communal institutions should review their security precautions and ensure continued vigilance, both for mail and direct threats.
- Jewish communal institutions and known leaders should be suspicious of any packages from unknown senders. Terrorists know how to adapt. Do not assume that bombs only come from Yemen.
- In the event a suspicious package is found, do not handle it and call 911. Be prepared to evacuate your building.